Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Max Meadows to Troutville, Va. - Aug. 8

I was up early and waited for about 30 minutes until it was light enough to ride. The morning fog settled into the valleys in an eerie way. The ride tracked I-81 through Christiansburg and then went north through some mountains before coming back down to Troutville, which is near Roanoke and I-81.

The mountain riding was scenic and while some of the up-and-downs were steep, none of the climbs were that long, and I made good time.

I had ridden 70 miles by 12:30. In all, I rode 87 miles. I'm staying in a nice town park and took a shower at the firehouse. The Appalachian Trail also runs through this town so they are set up to host both hikers and bikers.

Tomorrow I'll have a shorter day to Vesuvius, which is at the base of a much ballyhooed climb up to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

No comments:

Post a Comment