Saturday, August 4, 2012

Booneville to Hindman, Ky. - Aug. 4

Today was the first day of riding without dad. I talked to him tonight and described the riding day.

The hills were tough, but came in several section of summits, with some breaks in between of riding in sorts of valleys. Plus, the longer climbs usually mean an equal and opposite downhill, which quickly eats up miles. I hadn't started quite as early as usual, but was in Hindman, 64 miles away, by 2:30.

It felt familiar to be on the road, riding, but it also felt strange to be riding alone. While I had planned to ride alone from Yorktown, Va., to Lancaster, I wasn't supposed to be on my own now. It makes me sad to think about not being able to complete the trip with dad.

However, I was also thinking that the point of a trip like this is not just getting to the end. While we had been looking forward to the last day --especially recently -- the last day would have come and gone just like all the other days. It's hard not to focus on the end of the trip, but the trip is so much bigger than just one day.

For example, when I think back to the 1987 trip, I think more often about the experiences along the way than I do about what it was like to actually get to the end. Don't get me wrong, it is a real disappointment that dad won't be able to finish the trip, but it doesn't change the point of the trip: to build some bicycling memories with my dad while reconnecting with the 1987 trip.

Tonight, I'm staying at a bicyclist hostel in Hindman, Ky., up a very steep, but short hill. Currently, I'm sitting outside, under an umbrella, on a soft chair, with some cold drinks, watching men's Olympic volleyball, surrounded by slumbering cats.

Tomorrow, I plan to ride to Breaks Interstate Park, which is in Virginia. There seems to be the possibility of some rainstorms tomorrow, so I'll have to watch for that. Hopefully, I can start early and hunker down at the end to weather any storms. Or, there will be some places where I can duck in for cover along the way, if need be.







1 comment:

  1. Take care Chad. I've never met you but I know your mom and have met your dad. I've enjoyed reading about your adventures and it's usually a topic for discussion around the dinner table. So from the comfort of my home in Elverson, we are amazed at the heat, the hills, and the camping out and are looking forward to hearing more but will miss your dad in the pictures.

    ReplyDelete