Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Cascades

Last time, we rode over the Cascades in two days. This time we climbed both Tombstone and Santiam passes in one day, giving us 60 miles to Sisters, Ore., where we are staying tonight.

Tombstone was challenging, but not as debilitating as I remember from the first time when it took us six hours to cover the 11 miles. With some nice cloud cover, we rode that same stretch in maybe 2.5 hours. I could hardly believe I was actually climbing Tombstone Pass again! It was such a shock to me the first time that it was possible for a hill to last 11 miles.

Santiam Pass and the mostly downhill 20-mile ride into Sisters would have been a lot nicer if we hadn't have run out of water. We were both going a little loopy. Fortunately, sometime in the past 25 years a nice little shopping area was built on the western edge of town where we ate at McDonalds and I drank the equivalent of two super-sized cups of Powerade. We're staying in the city park in Sisters. It looks familiar.

We are now officially on the Adventure Cycling route and had a nice chat with Molly and Skip, a brother-sister duo who are also biking across the United States. They're staying in the park too. Somehow, when you meet other people riding the route, it seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

1 comment:

  1. Twenty-five years later I can now enjoy your reliving our trek up over that dreadful Tombstone Pass. I suppose I was the achiles heel of the group which resulted in a 6-hour water-depleting climb. This time I'm enjoying your ride from the comfort of my recliner. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete